Monday, July 6, 2015

Brockton the Beautiful!!

Happy birthday to America, Hunter Tinney, and Connor Slade!!!

This week was so great. I can't even begin to explain how fun this is being back in the proselyting area, tearing it up, preaching to the Haitians.
First things first.
A couple of new investigators this week, a couple of young guys 20, and 21! Jimmy is a student in the English class that we help out with for community service, and we offered to help him with English, and teach him a bit about the Gospel, and he accepted! The other, his name is Jorge, and he was a referral from a church open house down in Hartford! When we met with him, he seriously looks like he could be 26. Really tall, and built, beard, everything. We're like "hey Jorge, when did you graduate high school?" "I graduated in 2013" "Oh... sweet! haha"
Haitian group this past week was fantastic, we had 6 less actives there, 2 investigators, and the members who were assigned to teach, actually taught! Usually the Elders are just forced to whip something up in 3 minutes. So we like when things go smoothly! Woo hoo!
Thursday we met President & Sister Miller, not much happened in the meeting. The first thing they said to me when I told them I've been out for 21 months was "....oh... well.... we're glad we get to serve with you for a little bit" They talked a bit about their vision for the mission, which not much was new, and then we went back to our areas. So I guess we'll just see! They seem great to me.


This week just consisted of teaching, teaching, teaching. Which I absolutely LOVED. We taught less actives, we taught investigators, we taught people on the streets, in their houses, at parks, and even at the mall. Only 2 transfers left baby, there's no stopping us!!
Some people might ask, do Haitians celebrate the 4th of July? 
Ohh boy.... do they ever.....
We got invited to a 4th of July party by one of our investigators, she was having everyone over Sunday night. We though it'd be a low key party, some food, some haitians, you know, the usual.
NOT. AT. ALL.



We got there, and there was a DJ booth set up, which definitely bumped all night, SO MUCH FOOD, a brand new grill and over 200 Haitians. Nobody there new how to grill food, so I stepped up and grilled for everyone. Hamburgers, hotdogs, fish, shish kabobs, corn. You name it, I grilled it. I had a good time, and the Haitians really love white guys who speak Creole, ESPECIALLY if they've been to Haiti before... Made some great friends and contacted a TON of people, no problem.
Meanwhile, everyone else is just dancing, drinking, hanging out, DJ was bumpin.
At about 9:05pm we were trying to leave, when the husband of our investigator (who was a bit drunk at this point) came and dragged me to the DJ booth, and said "hey everyone, thanks for coming, we forgot to bless the food, so this white guy is going to pray IN CREOLE for all of us." and then handed me the microphone....
Wait... what??
So I pray. EVERYONE GOES WILD. They loved it! People there really loved my comp and I being there, speaking creole with everyone. 
So much fun.
Have a good week everyone!





--
Ⓔⓛⓓⓔⓡ Ⓗⓐⓛⓛⓘⓝⓖ

No comments:

Post a Comment